August 30th, 2012
Joslyn Art Museum
On a Thursday evening in August, the Silicon Prairie will come together for a celebration. This inaugural event, put on by the people behind Big Omaha, Thinc Iowa and the Startup Job Crawls, will recognize 12 companies and individuals for their outstanding products, strong leadership and noteworthy contributions to the community. It takes place at the beautiful Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha and all – from startup founder to startup enthusiast – are encouraged to attend.
Stay in the know
In the weeks leading up to the event, the Silicon Prairie community plays a role by nominating companies and individuals as finalists and selecting the winner of each category.
August 30, Joslyn Art Museum
Coming to Omaha? Click here to check out the recommended hotels.
Can’t make it to Omaha? We’ll begin live-streaming at 7 p.m.
Both the Silicon Prairie community and a committee of 16 individuals representing a cross section the region’s startup ecosystem will play a role in selecting the nominees, finalists and winner of each category.
The section committee, in no particular order…
- Jeff Slobotski Co-Founder and Chief Community Builder, Silicon Prairie News
- Jon Robinson Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- Brian C. Waller Manager of IT Business Development, State of Iowa
- Dusty Reynolds Director of Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce
- Maria Meyers CEO, U.S.SourceLink & KCSourceLink
- Jay Byers CEO, Greater Des Moines Partnership
- Shane Reiser Director of Marketing and Community, Kohort
- Adam Coomes Founder & CEO, Salt
- Andrew Kirpalani Developer, Ensighten
- Dr. David Keck Executive Director, Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science and Management at UNL
- Tom Boozer Associate Director, Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the Bloch School of UMKC
- Judi Eyles Iowa State Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship
- Steve Dee CTO, Hayneedle
- Joan Gabel Sr. Dean, Trulaske College of Business at MU
- Chuck Norris Director, Nelnet
- Lynn Hicks Executive Business Editor, Des Moines Register
During the opening and closing receptions, a group of Silicon Prairie startups will showcase their products – laptop or mobile device in hand – to the investors, entrepreneurs, service providers and potential customers in attendance. Plenty of swag and “ohhs” and “ahhs” are expected.
The Startup Alley is presented by Lightbank
A Silicon Prairie News event
The polls are open!
Through August 22, help us decide the winners of our inaugural Silicon Prairie Awards, which will recognize 12
companies and individuals. You can vote once per day per category. Winners will be
announced live on stage at
our August 30 event.