Silicon Prairie News

3624_f025eb2cae_small February 13, 2012 by Michael Stacy

Kansas City Following Google's announcement last Monday via its Fiber Blog that "Kansas City is Fiber-ready," Silicon Prairie News reached out to the Mountain View, Calif.-based search and advertising giant for additional details about the timeline for the implementation of its ultra high-speed network in the Kansas City area. The specifics of that timeline are TBD — or, at least, TBA. "We're building infrastructure, and so I guess the next step will be when we release all of our marketing and … read more

3603_ef771eca51_small February 13, 2012 by Macy Koch

Des Moines Torsion Mobile, a Des Moines-based startup building mobile solutions for creative professionals, released its first product, Mojaba, in early February with the mission to make mobile websites easier to build. Mojaba, pronounced "mo-jah-ba," was developed for the nearly 80 percent of websites not currently formatted for mobile devices, Torsion co-founders Christian Gurney (far left) and Richard Kirsner … read more

3623_e092d39ee5_small February 13, 2012 by Michael Stacy

Mission Bio: Kansas City native, resident and enthusiast. Hacker, gamer, entrepreneur and philosopher. | Title: Managing Member and Data Viz Guy | Age: 26 | Residence: Mission, Kan. | Twitter: @neight | Linkedin: linkedin.com/pub/nathan-allen | Intro music: "Embody" by SebastiAn | Silicon Prairie News: You recently sold your share of your game development company, Vicinity Games. What are a couple of the most important lessons you learned from your foray into the world of game development? | Nate Allen: The thing I set out to learn was shipping a product. Going from concept to customers. I learned first hand that the last 10 percent takes as long as the other 90 percent. I learned that no matter how much sense your game makes to you, you've … read more

3622_c6bb56a3f2_small February 13, 2012 by Michael Stacy

Washington, D.C. As promised last week when we published an initial recap of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation's State of Entrepreneurship Address, we now have the full video of the proceedings for your viewing pleasure. At the event, which took place on Thursday in Washington, D.C., Benno Schmidt, the Kauffman Foundation's interim president and … read more

3621_15e9da488a_small February 13, 2012 by Michael Stacy

Des Moines Tune in Tuesday at 2 p.m. for Episode 74 of PrairieCast streaming live from Des Moines. Guests this week are Chris Snider, a multimedia journalism instructor at Drake University, and Thad Langford, the former president of Zave Networks and current executive in residence at OpenAir Equity Partners. … read more

3620_fa8b1e65d0_small February 12, 2012 by Danny Schreiber

Steve Blank, a serial entrepreneur turned professor, offers a succinct and excellent answer to the commonly asked question, "What's a startup?" Presented as a part of Sprikle Labs's "Now I Know" series, Blank frames his answer around his parent's entrepreneurial story of opening a grocery story and how a small business differs from a startup, or what he specifically calls a "scalable startup." … read more

3617_87c04ead77_small February 11, 2012 by Guest Contributor

(This is a guest post by Jeff Beals.) Three-quarters of all jobs are never advertised! They are part of the "hidden job market," and they go to people who are promoted from within, know the right persons or have jobs specially created for their unique skills. In order to get one of these hidden jobs, you must be in the right place at the right time and know the right … read more

February 11, 2012 by Dusty Davidson

Every day I comb through my Google Reader reading sites like Hacker News and others, and star articles that are especially interesting about startups, entrepreneurship and miscellany. read more

The polls are open!

Through August 22, help us decide the winners of our inaugural Silicon Prairie Awards, which will recognize 12 companies and individuals. You can vote once per day per category.
Winners will be announced live on stage at
our August 30 event.

Vote!