Prairie Moves: Case talks investment outside of traditional tech hubs
Prairie Moves is a roundup of career changes, media coverage, product development and other updates from the companies and individuals regularly covered by Silicon Prairie News. To submit an item for consideration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the form below.
"Case: Regional investment in places like Des Moines will mark '13" - The Des Moines Register reported that in a media call Monday, investor and startup advocate Steve Case (above) said he expects his firm to invest 80 percent of its 2013 capital in companies located outside of Silicon Valley and Boston.
"The whole startup thing in Kansas City is like this huge growing beast … it's got this crazy momentum." - Homes for Hackers creator Ben Barreth said in a recent story focusing on the startup activity around Google Fiber. - Associated Press
Mergers and acquisitions
- Underwriters Laboratories acquired Overland Park-based Innovadex, a search and information exchange platform for supplier chemicals, ingredients and raw materials - Press Release and Kansas City Business Journal
- Social Money raised a $1 million internal round of financing - SPN
- Stackify launches its product that aims to help web development teams - SPN
- Electric Pulp launched a re-designed website - electricpulp.com
Product and business updates
- StartupCity Des Moines announced its program's first graduate, Meidh Tech - StartupCity blog and Des Moines Register
- Social Money's SmartyPig rolled out OneClick, a browser extension that allows SmartyPig users to start saving for a product on any ecommerce website - SmartyPig, Bank Technology News, Des Moines Register and SPN
- Goodsmiths added advisors Jeremie Miller, co-founder of Singly and Kellie Markey, former vice president of global direct marketing and vice president of international at eBay - James Eliason's blog and Des Moines Register
- VinSolutions released VinMobile 2.0, a mobile CRM application - Press Release
- Bulu Box launched a member rewards program - Press Release
- "Case: Regional investment in places like Des Moines will mark '13" - Des Moines Register
- "Betting on Las Vegas, cultivating Des Moines: Where is America’s next Silicon Valley?" - Washington Post
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation - "Future of the Foundation, Janice Kreamer and TomMcDonnel" - KCTP: The Local Show
Gig Bits is an occasional feature keeping our readers up to speed on Google Fiber. Read Gig Bits.
- "Google's ultrafast internet draws startups to KC" - Associated Press
- "Facebook Gets Into Search" (Tune to 15:30 mark) - Tech News Today
- "Fiber Fridays! Google Fiber speed test on Speedtest.net." - Kansas City Startup Village
- Dwolla named among The Next Web's "14 startups we predict will go even bigger in 2013"
- "Moving Ecommerce Platforms? Don’t Blow It." - Tegan Snyder
- "Customer Discovery" - Michael Wetta
- "17 Simple Questions Successful Entrepreneurs Ask Before Starting Anything New" - Brent Beshore
- "9 Dwolla tools for small business" - Dwolla
- "Behind The Design: Tills and The Drawer" - Change
- "Defining the Ops in DevOps" - Stackify
- "KC Startup Village Develops and Draws National Attention" - FormZapper
- "Hudl Champions Round IV" - Hudl
- "Google boasts about former KCK company Zavers at NRF function" - Kansas City Business Journal
- Three members of Kansas City startup community spoke to a group in St. Louis - iTEN
- "Former US Sen. Kerrey takes job as executive chairman of startup university, Minerva Project" - The Republic
Prairie Moves are brought to you by Polsinelli Shughart PC
When it comes to technology, last week's innovations are this week's past practice. Polsinelli technology attorneys work on a daily basis with clients creating or using innovative technology. We understand each client's business and provide value every step of the way. Check out our Science and Technology Law Group to learn more information.