Prairie Moves: App for international students wins Corridor pitch contest
Prairie Moves is a roundup of career changes, media coverage, product development and other updates from the companies and individuals regularly covered by Silicon Prairie News. To submit an item for consideration, please email email@example.com or use the form below.
"Creative Corridor Dream Big" - Ready to Go in America!, a pocket guide and mobile app that aims to help international students navigate life in the United States and adapt to American culture, won the Dream Big Grow Here contest in Cedar Rapids. - Iowa's Creative Corridor blog
"I've always heard the USA is a country of dreams. Now I know it is truly a reality." - Mekinda Mekinda, an entrepreneur from Cameroon and creator of Ready to Go in America!, after winning Dream Big Grow Here via Iowa's Creative Corridor blog
- Dibzees, a penny auction site, received $500,000 from the Iowa Innovation Acceleration Fund - Press Release, Des Moines Register and SPN
- BettrLife, a health and wellness tech startup based in Des Moines, received a $250,000 loan from the Iowa Innovation Acceleration Fund - Press Release, Des Moines Register and SPN
Product and business updates
- StartupCity Des Moines, a tech startup incubator, welcomed a new resident startup, Poster Zen - Des Moines Register
- Ready to Go in America!, an idea for a pocket guide and mobile app designed to help international students and other recent immigrants overcome culture shock, won Dream Big Grow Here, a program of MyEntre.net - The Gazette, Corridor Business Journal and Press Citizen
- MacPractice released version 4.2.3 with numerous functionality enhancements - Press Release
- Instin's Teachers.io is now integrated with the startup's other app, myHomework - myHomework blog post
- John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center - "Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center: The center that means business" - The Gazette
- Startup Weeeknd Des Moines - "Fashion app wins Startup Weekend" - Des Moines Register
- Startup Weekend Kansas City - "Kansas City Startup Weekend crowns king of entrepreneurial jungle" - Kansas City Business Journal
- Startup Weekend Kansas City - "Startup Weekend KC" (Videos) - Kansas City Public Television
Gig Bits is an occasional feature keeping our readers up to speed on Google Fiber. Read Gig Bits.
- "Google's Internet Service Might Actually Bring the U.S. Up to Speed" - MIT Technology Review
- "Companies take aim at KC’s digital divide" - Kansas City Star
- "Google Fiber’s installation strategy could leave startups hanging" - Kansas City Business Journal
- "My Friday night, or how I won a boxing belt without throwing a punch" - Tyler Hillsman
- "Thank You" - RareWire
- "2012 Hudl Champions: Round I" - Hudl
- "Think Big Celebrates GEW with KC Entrepreneurs at Startup Waffles" - Think Big Partners
- "Kansas senator mentions Instin and myHomework!" - Instin
- "Happy Thanksgiving! What We're Thankful For (As Entrepreneurs)" - Think Big Partners
- "2012 Women of Innovation" (Photos) - Technology Association of Iowa
- "Global Entrepreneurship Week Kansas City 2012 Instagram Feed" (Photos) - Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation invited Kansas City startups to take a survey that will result in a "genealogy map" of the city's high-tech industry - Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and Kansas City Business Journal
- StartupCity Des Moines posted a recap and video of its Lunch and Learn with Singly's Jeremie Miller - StartupCity Des Moines
- Kansas City IT Professionals posted video of its Disruption Institute announcement - "Launch of The Disruption Institute"
- Dwolla announced judges for its Old MacDonald Hackathon - Dwolla blog
- Venture Friday raised more than $450 for Movember - Red Nova Labs blog
Credits: Screenshot from creativecorridor.co.
Prairie Moves are brought to you by Polsinelli Shughart PC
When it comes to technology, last week's innovations are often this week's past practice. The Technology Law attorneys at Polsinelli Shughart PC are passionate about companies that create and utilize technology in today’s world. We focus on understanding each startup’s business to deliver strategic solutions to provide the most value.