The 22 teams of Startup Weekend Columbia
The Place Space team works on their idea with mentor Keith Politte (second from right).
Whether the teams dissolve in the coming weeks or go on to be accepted into Y Combinator (like last year's winner, Zapier), this event is sure to give participants a taste of what it is like to form a business.
The League of Innovators and Veterans United Home Loans are hosting the event. This is the second year The League of Innovators has hosted a Startup Weekend, and it's pleased the event sold out with 125 participants. After 41 participants gave 60-second pitches Friday, 22 teams emerged.
- Como RideShare - A simple site that connects drivers with riders in the Columbia region
- Crowdsourcing Curiosity - Wikipedia meets Querky for questions
- Donald Rumsfeld - We mine large amounts of text data and flag the "unknown unknowns" you need to know about
- Freestyle Friends - An application that helps you and your friends collaborate on songs
- Fundrunners - Website and mobile app that helps runners organize and fundraise for special causes/charities
- Geo'd - Social, location-based mobile app allowing you to leave gem in geographic locations for your friends
- Imaginary Friends - A meeting and retail space for people to create 3D images
- JamOrSlam - Mobile app that's a digital jukebox for bars/restaurants
- Kill the Landline - Forward old numbers to your cell phone
- QRKey - Dynamic QR code campaign management made easy
- Living the College Life - Digital magazine for college students with entertaining and advice articles curated by college students around the country.
- Play Wall - Platform that turns any video into a pay-wall
- Place Space - Professional business incubator run in a student-owned coffee shop
- PR Libs - A highly advanced algorithm to create press releases for startups
- Project Olympia - Social network for coaches to build and measure athletes' strength and conditioning performance
- SamePaged - Control the flow of your internet messages/when and where you'll get new messages
- Simplified Studio - A business management tool that simplifies business tasks and rolls several business aspects into one easy-to-use program
- SurfBored - User-based video search
- Trackly - Enables anyone to easily watch the screen of a user on their website in real time
- Tyten - Effortless event posting and discovery (website + app)
- OneCDS - One click decision support for linking patient data to online treatment algorithms and calculations
- Wooga - A site to connect charities with active volunteers to exchange accomodation for volunteer services across the globe
Learn more about the teams, including which technologies they're using, at startupweekend.org.
The event culminates tonight with a final pitch session open to the public. The top three teams will be named by a panel of five judges and awarded prizes. Find venue and schedule details at columbia.startupweekend.org.
Hear are a few photos from the event:
A crowd of more than 200 people gather the first night to watch participants pitch ideas.
Participants receive free re-fillable water bottles in lieu of bottled water at the event in an effort to make the event more environmentally friendly.
A team brainstormed ideas for their project.
*Updated 4:15 p.m. - Post orginally listed 17 teams. There are 22 teams competing at Startup Weekend Columbia.
Credits: Photos by Cale Sears