Internet Bus Tour to hold events in Lincoln, Des Moines, Iowa City & KC
The Internet 2012 Bus Tour will make five stops across Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri.
The Internet 2012 Bus Tour this week released details of the five events it will co-host in the Heartland to advocate for the Open Internet, an internet the tour describes as one free of government restrictions, censorship and regulations.
Spearheaded by redditt co-founder Alexis Ohanian and general manager Eric Martin, a duo that's championed the subject matter, the tour is bookended by visits to the presidential and vice presidential debates.
"Our mission is to convince the nation's politicians that internet isn't a red issue or blue issue, but something which everyone cares about," the narrator of a promotional video for the tour says.
Between the first debate in Denver, Colo. and the second in Danville, Ky., Ohanian, Martin and a small group that includes journalists and a documentary film crew will makes eight stops across five states. (Cheezburger CEO Ben Huh is riding the bus Oct. 6-7, attending the two events in Iowa.)
Five of the tour stops take place in Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri:
Lincoln - Oct. 5, Afternoon (time TBD)
Panel at Raikes School
- Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science & Management (630 N. 14th, 123B Kauffman Center)
Lincoln - Oct. 5, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Des Moines - Oct. 6, 6-9 p.m.
- Locust Street Bridge (between 2nd Street and E. 1st Street)
- From Dwolla: "With interactive tools, livestreams, and real-time conversations, we want to reimagine the political discourse as Iowans (and Americans). And because we’re focused on creating a light-hearted and bipartisan atmosphere, it won’t matter if you entered from the left or right side of the river, just that you’re willing to meet in the middle and build a better Iowa." - Read more on Dwolla's blog and the Des Moines Register
- Call for speakers at desmoinesregister.com
Iowa City - Oct. 7, 5 p.m.
Kansas City, Mo. - Oct. 8, 6-8 p.m.
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, Town Square (4801 Rockhill Road)
- From Kauffman Foundation: "Following a complimentary dinner, reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian will lead a panel discussion featuring founders of some of Kansas City's most innovative Internet-based startups, including AgLocal, Neighbor.ly and Leap2. Also on the panel will be Jay Rogers, founder and CEO of Arizona-based Local Motors, the world's first open-source automobile company." - Read more at kauffman.org
- Register by Oct. 3 at kauffman.org
For more on the tour see our earlier post, "On upcoming tour, reddit co-founder to seek stories of internet’s impact", and reddit's announcement, "Internet 2012 Bus Tour - A Campaign to Promote the Open Internet".
Reddit is covering the hard costs of the tour, but it's seeking donations on Indiegogo to fund a bus graphic wrap, hold events and document the experience.
Here's a promotional video for the tour:
Credits: Screenshot of Internet 2012 bus from Internet 2012 Bus Tour video.