Prairie Moves: ‘Software is eating the world – and will help to feed it’
What is Prairie Moves?
Published Tuesdays and Fridays, Prairie Moves is a roundup of career changes, media coverage, product development and other updates from the companies and individuals regularly covered by Silicon Prairie News.
"Software Is Eating the World – And Will Help to Feed It" - Andreessen Horowitz partner John O'Farrell blogs about his firm's investment in Solum, a Mountain View, Calif.-based ag-tech startup that has plans to open a lab in Ames, Iowa.
"Anyone on a social network can say, 'Well I want a burrito shop.' We wanted to make sure the site generated legitimate ideas that could be legitimately implemented by a legitimate agency." - Nick Bowden explaining the value of MindMixer over established social media channels - Fast Company
- Nebraska Angels invest $450,000 in Austin, Texas-based VolunteerSpot - SPN and Lincoln Journal Star
- Solum, a Mountain View, Calif.-based ag-tech startup that plans to open a lab in Ames, Iowa, received $100,000 from the Iowa Economic Development Authority and closed a $17 million Series B round led by Andreessen Horowitz - IEDA, Press Release, Andreessen Horowitz blog, All Things D, Forbes, Vator News, Inc., TechCrunch, SPN and Des Moines Register
- Rocky Warren, formerly with John Deere, joined Dwolla - Rocky Warren blog
- intevli, event mapping app, will launch July 6 during Kansas City Crossroads' First Friday - Press Release and Think Big Partners
Product & Business Updates
- ActiveGrade retooled its gradebook view - ActiveGrade blog
- Dwolla introduced its new mobile SDKs - Dwolla dev blog
- Where da Spot - Kansas City's parking salvation could be just one app away - The Pitch
- MindMixer - Online Town Hall Lets Residents Improve Their Own Neighborhood Without Leaving The Couch - Fast Company
Gig Bits is an occasional feature keeping our readers up to speed on Google Fiber. Read Gig Bits.
- Does Kansas City own the business of broadband? - GigaOm
- Tech Blogs Debate Ownership of Kansas City Broadband - Google Connects KC
- Google turns down Rosedale’s Wi-Fi idea - Kansas City Star
- Ben Milne named to Inc.'s "30 Under 30" list - (inc.com version coming soon), Des Moines Register
- PlanetReuse one of 25 named to Bloomberg Businessweek's "America's Most Promising Social Entrepreneurs"
- How Many Cups to Launch - Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- Challenge Yourself - RareWire
- AngelHack Recap and Dwolla Integrations - Dwolla
- Did One Week KC help Kansas City Become America’s Most Entrepreneurial City? - Think Big Partners
- RecBob uploaded pictures of its TechWeek trip - Facebook
- Des Moines Business Record's 2012 Readers Survey askeed: "How important do you think the growing tech start-up scene is for the overall health of the Des Moines business community?" - Des Moines Business Record
- Dwolla announced an eCommerce Hack Day in New York (August 4-5) - Dwolla blog and The Next Web
- Social Media Takes Command in KC for 2012 MLB All-Star Game - Social Media Club Kansas City
- Kansas City IT Professionals is holding its fourth anniversary celebration - KCITP
- University of Lincoln-Nebraska Raikes School fall class announced - UNL
Credits: Screenshot from a16z.com