Prairie Moves: Bob Wescott, eVents, FAN360 and more
What is Prairie Moves?
Published Tuesdays and Fridays, Prairie Moves keeps our readers informed about career moves, media coverage, product development and more from the companies and individuals we cover on Silicon Prairie News.
If you or your company would like to submit one of the items below for our next Prairie Moves post, please email email@example.com. And if you have suggestions on how we could improve these posts or any of our coverage, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MindMixer (Omaha), a web-based platform billed as a "virtual town hall," raised a $1.9 million seed round led by Dundee Venture Capital (Omaha) - TechCrunch and SPN
- Bob Wescott joined LockPath (Overland Park, Kan.) as VP of Sales - Press Release
- Goodsmiths (Urbandale, Iowa) soft-launched its "Marketplace for Makers" - goodsmiths.com, SPN, Des Moines Register and Goodsmiths blog
- eVents (Kansas City, Mo.) launched its social media application at The Forum at Middle of the Map Fest - lkz2.us, events-mgr.com and Press Release
Product/Business Development and Milestones
- Sportscaster by OneLouder (Kansas City) released an Anroid update for baseball fans - OneLouder blog
- Layeredi (Omaha) entered into a strategic agreement with Hurrdat Social Media - Press Release
- doodle cloud (Des Moines) - Juice: "One on One: From lark to startup"
- SmartyPig by Social Money (Des Moines) - Boing Boing: "Apps to help you save money"
- Shoplr (Ames, Iowa) - Business Innovation Zone: "Shoplr Takes Small Local Businesses Mobile"
- Drone Journalism Lab at University of Nebraska-Lincoln - International Journalism Network: "Why drone journalism is in for a rocky ride"
- MindMixer (Omaha) - San Fancisco Sentinel: "Mayor Lee launches ImproveSF – A civic problem-solving platform to challenge online community"
- Middle of the Map Fest (Kansas City) - Kansas City Star: "Forum focuses on startup funding needs"
- Des Moines Register: "U.S.'s IT guy works to save money, invest in technology"
- Des Moines Register: "JOBS Act gives boost to startups"
- Des Moines Register: "TAI prepares for its TriTECHta"
Gig Bits is an occasional feature keeping our readers up to speed on Google Fiber. Read Gig Bits.
- Google Fiber blog: "A Construction Update"
- Kansas City Star: "Google on Kansas City’s new Internet: We’re getting closer, bringing huts"
- KSHB: "Business leaders in northeast Kansas City get the chance to ask questions about Google Fiber in KC"
- FAN360 by Sporting Innovations (Kansas City) named a finalist for the Product Innovation Award by TheStadiumBusiness - The Stadium Business and Sporting Innovations blog
- Dwolla (Des Moines) was named by Business Insider as one of "10 Startups To Bet Your Career On"
- Bo Fishback of Zaarly (San Francisco-based, Kansas City office): "The Startup Fog"
- Derek Jensen, Iowa State University student (Ames, Iowa): "Iowa State needs to create tech-savvy, compatible environment"
- Seedlauncher: "Dear Y Combinator, we bet you one interview that we can solve a nagging problem for you in the next 72 hours."
- Amanda Morrow of BitMethod (Des Moines): "What We Can Learn From Draw Something"
- Mike Colwell of Business Innovation Zone (Des Moines): "Mentors: Why, who, when, and what next"
- Wade Foster of Zapier (Columbia, Mo.): "Finding Early Customers When You Aren't Internet Famous"
- Herb Sih of Think Big Partners (Kansas City, Mo.): "Entrepreneurial Attitudes In Kansas City"
- Steven VanRoekel, U.S. CIO (Iowa native): "The JOBS Act: Encouraging Startups, Supporting Small Businesses"
- Invest Midwest (St. Louis) - Kansas City Business Journal: "InvestMidwest Venture Capital Forum includes 10 Kansas City companies" and Think Big Partners: "LiveOn (Among Other Startups) Head to St. Louis for InvestMidwest"
- Hatchlings (Des Moines): "Don’t Be Evil: How Google Screwed a Startup" - Media Roundup
- StartupIowa to host inaugural open data hackathon April 27-29 - StartupIowa and SPN
- Startup Poker (Kansas City) tickets went on sale - eventbrite.com
- Ben Milne of Dwolla (Des Moines) - Where 2012: "Dwolla: Ubiquity by Design" (Video)
- Lincoln Journal Star: "Skateboarding professor becomes Internet sensation"
- Kansas City Business Journal: "Nelson-Atkins signs on for Google Art Project in Kansas City"
- Nebraska Entrepreneur Summit released a video from its event: "Mergers, acquisitions, stock offerings and other frightning ways to grow your business"
- Ignite Lincoln released a video from its event: "Ignite Lincoln 3: Shane Farritor – 'Becoming More Creative' "
- Business Innovation Zone (Des Moines): "Video: Raising Capital – Pitching Your Company" and "Ben Milne: The Pitch" (Video)
- SecretPenguin (Omaha): "The Unofficial SecretPenguin Foundation"
- Former Nebraska Gov. Bob Kerrey, who is now running for a Nebraska Senate seat, is on the Minerva Project's advisory board - Reuters
Credits: Photo by Ben Carlisle via Flickr