Sunday Video: Chris Sacca answers ‘What is success?’
After taking a break these past two weeks, the Sunday Video Series is back with a timely video for the closing of graduation season. Delivered on May 16 at the Carlson School of Management - University of Minnesota, the video below is the commencement speech of notable Silicon Valley angel investor and entrepreneur Chris Sacca.
In his 30-minute speech, Sacca answers the tough question of "What is success?" with the simple answer of "Happiness." But to clarify, and to make sure he gives the graduates a roadmap for reaching happiness, Sacca lays out a seven step plan.
In his introduction, Sacca said:
What's the key to success? Well in my experience, quite simply, success is happiness. It all comes down to happiness … that happiness that quite literally fills your lungs. The kind of happiness that makes a noise, it announces its arrival with a deep inhale and a deep exhale.
He then lays out this seven step plan:
- 8:40 - Step 1: Press Control+Alt+Delete - "Today's the chance to hit control+alt+delete on your life"
- 11:02 - Step 2: Be present - "We owe each other our full attention"
- 14:50 - Step 3: Go on offense - "Never in history have there been fewer barriers in the way"
- 18:54 - Step 4: Be helpful - "You have the tools at your disposal to have great impact on the world"
- 23:10 - Step 5: Maintain the ability to sleep well at night - "It's amazing that in 2011, ethics are still such a problem in business"
- 25:15 - Step 6: Be your weird self - "Weirdness is why we adore our friends … weirdness is what bonds us to our colleagues, weirdness is what sets us apart and gets us hired"
- 27:45 - Step 7: Be a proud Carlson Gopher - "You weren't just trained here, you learned with a capital L"