Prairie Moves: Josh Dreyer, Jeff Valder, Jonathan Sharp & More
Photo by James at Pretty Simple via Flickr
Published every Tuesday (one day late this week), Prairie Moves keeps our readers informed about career moves, media coverage, product development, and more from the companies and individuals we cover on Silicon Prairie News.
If you or your company would like to submit one of the items below for our next Prairie Moves post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you have suggestions on how we could improve these posts or any of our coverage, please contact email@example.com.
- Josh Dreyer, formerly with Palisade Systems (Des Moines), joined Grand Consulting (Des Moines) – via twitter.com/igord
- Jeff Valder joined Reliant Studios (Lincoln) as Administrative Director – via email
- SkyVu (Omaha) released Battle Bears Roayale and BATTLE BEARS BLAST
- Phenomblue (Omaha) has created microsite, WatchMeBloom.com, for College of Saint Mary (Omaha) – via typepad.necreative.com
- Jim Simon and Marcia Kapustin launched PeggyBank, a startup converting legacy media into digital content hosted online and sharable via social media
- Book Hatchery (Cedar Falls), the startup of University of Northern Iowa junior Nick Cash, named one of "America's Coolest College Startups" by Inc. magazine: "Simplifying Cross-Platform Digital Book Publishing"
- Steve Kiene of Nebraska Global (Lincoln) mentioned in Inc. magazine: "Entrepreneurs in the News"
- Nebraska Global (Lincoln) launched its website for Don't Panic Labs
- Dwolla (Des Moines) Spots announcement covered by PCMag: "Dwolla Spots Shows Users Where to Use Dwolla," Des Moines Register: "Dwolla Spots locates stores, sets up quick transactions," CNBC: "Dwolla adds on-site payments to phone transactions," Des Moines Business Record: "Dwolla launches location-based payment system," The Next Web: "Dwolla adds location to mobile payments with its new ‘Spots’ feature," and Global Newswire: "Premier Credit Union Adds Alternative Payments Technology Dwolla"
- Dwolla (Des Moines) covered by Iowa Business Record: "Dwolla Allows Mobile Money Transfers Via Mobile & Social Media"
- Ben Milne of Dwolla (Des Moines) interviewed on Mixergy: "Dwolla’s Founder: From Selling Speakers On His Couch To Moving $1 Mil A Month – with Ben Milne"
- The Foundary (Omaha) featured by Apartment Therapy: "The Foundary: Flash Sale Shopping from Hayneedle"
- SmartyPig (Des Moines) mentioned by Arizona Daily Star: "The Savings Game: Nifty financial-planning websites can help," Forbes: "How SmartyPig Taught Americans To Save–Again," and Bankaholic: "SmartyPig Beats Top Savings Account"
- Startup Weekend Des Moines covered by WHO TV: "Employing Yourself: A local contest encourages entrepreneurs to get the ball rolling on their ideas," Iowa State Daily: "Startup Weekend teaches entrepreneurs perseverance through hands-on experience," and Des Moines Register: "Buzz: Startup Weekend sees quick births of businesses"
- Startup Weekend Des Moines recapped by Torison Mobile (Des Moines): "Startup Weekend Des Moines" and Spindustry (Des Moines): "Spindustry participates in Startup Weekend Des Moines 2011"
- Omaha World-Herald reported on the Angel Investment Tax Credit Act: "Senators question 'Angel' tax benefit"
- Nathan T. Wright of Lava Row & Uppward (both of Des Moines) interviewed by This Week in Ag: "Farmers Using Mobile Shared at South by Southwest" and featured by Juice magazine: "My Business: Uppward app helps flyers network"
- Spike Stevens (Denver) of The MeNetwork (Denver-based, Omaha offices) intervied by KETV Omaha: "Local Deals Available Through Text Service" and TechRockies: "Interview with Spike Stevens, The MeNetwork"
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln's 3-2-1 Quick Pitch Competition covered by Nebraska Entrepreneur: "$5,000 Awarded to Students with Big Ideas"
- SkyVu (Omaha) announced it reached 10 million app downloads (paid & free)
- Dwolla (Omaha) released an explainer video for Dwolla Spots and photos from their meetup taken by Anna Jones
- VolunteerLocal (Des Moines) launched the HappyVolunteers blog (Silicon Prairie News' Geoff Wood is the co-founder of VolunteerLocal)
- Clint! Runge of Archrival, a Dachis Group Company (Lincoln), speaking at a Federated Media event, "Signal Austin: The Leveraging Local," on Thursday in Austin, Texas
- Jonathan Sharp of appendTo (Denver-based, Omaha office) recently spoke at the Startup Weekend Austin and resigned as a jQuery Team member, going back to being a community volunteer with the Project
- The Foundary (Omaha) interviewed Jessica McKay of Birdhouse Interiors for its special Foundary event with McKay: "Birdhouse Interiors Interview"
- Startup Weekend Des Moines posted photos by Anna Jones
- A member of the Startup Weekend Des Moines winning team, Robert Hidajat (Des Moines), blogged about the experience: "Pinch Me… is This For Real?"
- Des Moines Registered reported "Men’s Journal names D.M. best on the Silicon Prairie"